Can we have an endless mode?
Last Stand is a tower defense game I made for the GameDev.tv Game Jam 2022. The theme was "Death is Only the Beginning", so naturally I did something with the undead.
This is the first game jam I've participated in and it was a good experience. For the first couple days, I was trying to do something completely different and was frustrated that I might not be able to complete it. After some thinking and re-scoping of the project, I was able to put this together in the time I had left. I'm incredibly proud with what I was able to achieve and hope that other people enjoy their time with my game.
Any comments, criticisms, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for stopping by!
- W and S - Move up and down
- Spacebar (Press or hold down) - Shoots fireball
- LMB - To select a defense from the bottom menu and click on a square to place it
To any interested in my full experience and my thoughts on it, I talk about it in this video:
Assets Used (with minor modifications to some):
The following are under a CC0 License.
- "Gothicvania Town" by ansimuz - https://itch.io/queue/c/313331/gothicvania?game_id=176763
- "Gothicvania Cemetery" by ansimuz - https://ansimuz.itch.io/gothicvania-cemetery
- "Wizard Pack" by LuizMelo - https://luizmelo.itch.io/wizard-pack
- "Hero Knight" by Sven - https://sventhole.itch.io/hero-knight
- "Sorcerer / Villain" by Warren Clark - https://lionheart963.itch.io/sorcerer-villain
- "Undead Executioner" by Kronovi- - https://darkpixel-kronovi.itch.io/undead-executioner
- "Animated pixel art skeleton" by AstroBob - https://astrobob.itch.io/animated-pixel-art-skeleton
- "Free Isometric Town building Pack 1" by art nerd @AngeloTheAngelo - https://awesometeamname.itch.io/free-isometric-town-building-pack-1
- "Pixel Art Effect - FX017" by NYKNCK - https://nyknck.itch.io/pixelarteffectfx017
- "Particle Pack" by Kenney - https://kenney.nl/assets/particle-pack
- "Pixel Pine Tree Assets (10 Pack)" by Pistachio - https://opengameart.org/content/pixel-pine-tree-assets-10-pack
- "Bevouliin Free Game Obstacle - Spikes" by bevoulin.com - https://opengameart.org/content/bevouliin-free-game-obstacle-spikes
- "Concrete UI, part 2" by Buch - https://opengameart.org/content/concrete-ui-part-2
- "Male Grunt/Yelling sounds" by HaelDB - https://opengameart.org/content/male-gruntyelling-sounds
- "bomb_explosion_8bit" by Luke.RUSTLTD - https://opengameart.org/content/bombexplosion8bit
- "35 wooden cracks/hits/destructions" by Independent.nu - https://opengameart.org/content/35-wooden-crackshitsdestructions
- "Tower Defense Theme" by DST - https://opengameart.org/content/tower-defense-theme
- "Dumbledor" by GemFonts/Typotheticals - https://www.dafont.com/dumbledor.font?back=theme
- "N8ghtmare" by Lionel Pailloncy - https://www.dafont.com/n8ghtmare.font
The following are under a CC-BY 3.0 License. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
- "Tower Defense Prototyping Assets: 4 monsters, some tiles, a background image" by Redshrike (Stephen Challener) - https://opengameart.org/content/tower-defense-prototyping-assets-4-monsters-some...
- "cavalry sprite for freeSiege" by Scribe - https://opengameart.org/content/cavalry-sprite-for-freesiege
- "Harry potter skull icon" by Lorc - https://game-icons.net/1x1/lorc/harry-potter-skull.html#download
- "Horse Whinny 1.wav" by GoodListener - https://freesound.org/people/GoodListener/sounds/322445/
The following are under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 License. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/)
- "Siege Weapons" by b_0 and castelonia - https://opengameart.org/content/siege-weapons
The following are under a CC-BY 4.0 International License. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
- "Mountain Dusk Parallax background" by ansimuz - https://ansimuz.itch.io/mountain-dusk-parallax-background
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Heya, first I want to say that I'm humbled by your interest in the game and glad that you spent some time with it and hopefully enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I haven't worked on Last Stand in about half a year at this point. I decided shortly after I made the last update that I would stop development. I still have my blueprints for for how I wanted the game to be expanded, but I don't have any plans at the moment to return to this project.
However, I haven't stopped game dev! I'll be releasing something very soon. Hopefully by the end of February or into March. If you're interested in knowing more about my game dev journey, some insight to my process, or are curious to know what I'm working on then please check out my YouTube channel from the video linked on this itch page. Alternatively, you can follow me here on itch as I'm planning my next release to be coming to Itch's platform.
nice game！but where is the source attached？
Thanks! And I'm pretty sure I removed the source after I updated it since it wasn't representative of what was playable anymore.
nice game :)
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll be able to put out some updates for it in the coming months.
Fun game - i like the aspect of choosing where to put defences on levels after level 1! I like the music too! Only after reading one of the reviews did I understand that the bullets are reaching the enemies even if they seem to disappear, otherwise I wasn't getting far. Nice one!
Yup, that will definitely be something I fix later! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game! Thanks for stopping by!
Very nice and very aesthetically cohesive. You have some pixel art assets together with higher resolution ones, but you make it work well together.
Music is also really fitting, and the theme is just perfect for this game. Don't die, or else...
The only thing that caught for a couple of tries was the lack of feedback on enemy hit. Some kind of particle would be nice there, I thought my fireballs were actually not reaching the enemies :D.
Thank you for trying my game! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, definitely! As mentioned in a previous post to someone else, my collider for the fireball is too big so it doesn't look like it hits the enemy. I think a particle effect would be a nice touch, too! I had a sound for a while but thought it would be too annoying since the player is constantly shooting fireballs.
You could set it to a very low volume, so it's there but it's not overwhelming. Your game is very satisfying anyway, you got the important parts right.
That could work as well. I definitely would like to overhaul my entire audio for the game anyway. I really wanted to provide an options menu for the SFX and music but there wasn't enough time for me to figure how to do that. I think I plan on working on this game well past the jam so I hope to implement something closer to industry standards in the future.
Awesome game! I suck at tower defense games, so I didn't make it very far, but it was still a lot of fun. :)
Love the main menu, intro card, and menus between levels and after game over. They really add a lot to making this game feel very polished. Great job!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I'm happy that you appreciated the story-bits, too. Really wanted to add at least a little bit to the game to give it a bit more structure.
Ayeee, das some of my arts!!! Tanks for the credit ^_^ hope to play it when free time is avaliable :D
The game play as well is really good.
literally man, you really outdone yourself with the presentation and all, really great work, love it ;]
Hey! That was fun. It's a little tough but I really liked it. The music is high energy and I felt like a peashooter from PVZ on drugs. Rating your game!
Thanks! I'm glad that it was a "little tough". That's pretty much what I was going for. After playing it over and over though I sorta wondered if it was too easy. My wife told me it wasn't and now your confirmation gives me a better feeling about the level design lol. Thanks for playing!